Re: [RC] [RC] Horses!!! stop with the height - Bette Lamore

Hi Nicole
Obviously if I read your email, you are not on my filter list-- nor is Maria for that matter. I didn't consider your comments mean. You'll know when I do. I have always emailed the ones who I considered hurtful. We can always disagree--- in fact, I love a good debate--- just not personally insulting :-)
Bette, who isn't all that thin-skinned ;-)
PS If you look through the archives, I believe you will soon see that "bigger is better" has never been a thread on ridecamp---- it is, however a common saying in the show world, particularly in the sport horse classes, halter classes and even in the dressage classes if one is going to compete open. There are exceptions, however and smaller horses have done well in all those classes-- it is just that they are usually VERY exceptional as there appears to be a built-in prejudice towards the taller horses there, at least in the shows I've attended at Scottsdale and Santa Barbara.
I have to tell you a funny story, though. Thinking that Halynov would be a shoo-in for halter as he had size and substance, Jeff Wonnell who is a true old-time horseman (now in his 80's with many national championships under his belt) asked someone from Royal Oaks (a big-time, hot-shot training barn) to come look at Halynov at Scottsdale, where Hal was competing in hunter pleasure. This young hot-shot came to look at him, mentioned liking his correct conformation, elegant neck, 16.2h size, etc and turned to me and said "I can't show him, he doesn't have tipped ears." I was already disillusioned with the show ring by then (it was Jeff who convinced me to go and waived his fees) but I have to say, that was the last straw for Jeff and he has not shown in Arab shows since then.

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know Bette's post is meant as a personal harpoon toward me and perhaps toward Maria (who is the only other CMK
breeder who has responded to this thread)

<pout>

I realize I don't breed as many horses as you or Maria, but I do
consider myself a very small-scale CMK breeder.

BTW, I will presume that some of my comments about substance and
height and such might be considered "mean" if people don't know
me or read things and tone into my messages that aren't there or
are not intended. But, those that know me would read a line I know I put in at least one of my messages: I consider height, in and of itself, to be pretty darn unimportant one way or the other. If I joke about the "16H" Arabians that's because the majority of them are nowhere near 16H, not because I'm saying 16H
Arabians are "bad" just because they're tall. Read what you want into that.

As for those who say that those who like tall horses don't put
down the shorter horses, you have got to be kidding. "Bigger is
better" is a common theme and shorter horses -- including those
smack dab in the middle of the breed standard, so by no means
short for the breed -- are constantly bashed, appologized for,
lied about, etc etc etc. All based on something so trivial as
height... So, I guess some of us who like & breed & ride "short" horses do get sensitive since we are constantly hearing how our
horses are "too small." Just as many of us Arabian owners get
sensitive to the constant Arabian bashing in many circles.

And for the comment that people who like short horses happen to
breed short horses. Well, duh. We're not saying we like them
because we breed them, we breed them because we like them. And,
as several of us have said, some of our own horses are actually
taller than our *personal* preferences. That's because height just isn't a selection criteria some of us worry about.

Those that know me know I'm a live and let live person. :)

~Nicole

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)