Re: [RC] Horses!!! stop with the height - SandyDSA

Very succinct truths here, Heidi - and in fact, the Arabian standard as described in the handbook is - Para..."14.3 with an OCCASIONAL individual over or under. " As I read your post here, I thought back to my very first horse - not an Arabian, but a 13.2, pompous brat of a Canadian Cutting pony. He was a stockily built, bull-headed, plug ugly faced athlete - and in addition to cutting and penning, roping and driving, the snot was scoring 55-65's in training and 1st level dressage and clearing EASILY 3'9" fences with 3' spreads with distances set for 16 hand horses. He won the admiration of everyone around him, not for his beauty and CERTAINLY not for his beight or breeding or showiness - but for his heart and his physical prowess - as it should be. You shoulda seen the line-ups! T-bred, T-bred, Warmblood, T-bred PORSCHE (13.2).....you get the picture. Small but mighty. I never CHOOSe a horse for height - but i have to say that when they creep up to 15.1 I start thinking....portable mounting block - lotsa linament.... Give me a 14.3 or 14.2 any day.
But height is not the starting point--balance,
athleticism and QUALITY are what it is all about.