Re: [RC] blind horses - Linda Hedgpeth

Several on RC are familiar with our old stallion Abu Ben Surrabu (aka
"Junior") who gradually lost his eyesight over a period of years, and who
completed his last 50 after the total loss of his eyesight.  He completely
trusted that he would be directed by his rider, and Paul or I could
actually communicate the terrain to him with our own body language.  I
also rode him at an exhibition as a turnback horse for a cutting
demonstration after he was completely blind.
I remember reading this on your website.   I can understand riding a blind horse in an arena where the footing is consistent, but wow - on an endurance ride!!   With all the variations in terrain, the little dips, rocks, uneven ground.....I find that amazing!   You say you would pick up on the reins for downed logs.   How would you alert him to rough trail, rocks, dips, etc.?    If I were blind, it would freak me out to have to navigate 50 miles of trail.....not knowing where my next step would land.

Linda