Re: [RC] EPM - Sarah W

I had a colt diagnosed with EPM this past January.
One of the first symptoms I noticed was the apparent
difficulty to swallow.  My first vet opinion was my
colt had some sort of scratched tissue in his throat
and wanted me to take him into the local university to
be scoped.  My second opinion threw that idea out
completely and then said a spinal tap would be a waste
of money because all horses in my area will show some
level of exposure to EPM, the tap only indicates
exposure.

Best suggestion .. get the horse on EPM meds as soon
as possible.  The sooner you start treatment, the
better chance the horse has at surviving.  I had to
dissolve the meds in water to create a paste, and they
are costly.  Get another vet to look at the horse if
needed.  A good way to check for EPM is have someon
pull on the horse's tail and pull the hind end to one
side or another - the automatic response should be to
step out the side to catch himself from falling.
Also, take a sharper object (like a key) and poke the
horse randomly all over the body.  If the horse
doesn't act like he feels it, then there is something
blocking that nerve reaction (hence, EPM). I lost my
colt to this because I didn't get a him treated soon
enough and the original vet that looked at him didn't
know what to look for.  It was too late by the time
the second vet looked at him.

Best of luck.

Sarah
Lansing, MI

--- Julie Fuller <natira121@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trying again on the EPM question. We've researched
EPM. Difficulty
swallowing was one symptom, uncoordination on
hills was another. My
student's horse has both. Her vet wants to scope
the horse which has
choked 5 times. Seems that a problem in the throat
would not account
for the uncoordination. Wouldn't the scoping be a
waste of money? This
is a kid whose *really* having to pay her own way
but it's her pet so
I want to help her avoid unnecessary costs. I know
a spinal tap is the
diagnosis tool, but that many horses who aren't
sick are positive on
that so is it worth the money?  The article we
read listed a 28 day
oral gel treatment. Anybody know what that runs?

Angie

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail