Re: [RC] [RC] rearing - Deanna German

Well, for stuff like rearing....I am a big believer in the practice of
"disengaging the hindquarters",by bending the horse in a tight
circle....when you do this and force them to step underthemselves
with that inside hind leg, it is very, very hard to rear, buck or bolt.

Not necessarily. My mare could rear from any position, even facing downhill.

This reminds me of the chuckle I got from Gawani Pony Boy at Equine Affaire
last year when he commented that (loosely quoted) "those of you who own
Arabs know that you could tie its nose to your knee and the horse will still
be able to do whatever it wants." His point was to train rather than try to
physically prevent the horse from doing whatever.

The tight cirlce then also becomes the punishment for the rear, or
pre-rear balk. The horses I have been on that tried to rear, well it
was easy to tell in advance; there would be a balk or refusal first, if
you were paying attention you could catch it.....and turn the horse
before it went up.

I tried your cure. My mare loves to spin. She was extremely entertained by
all the spinning. I just got dizzy (er?).

I don't believe "once a rearer, always a rearer" or that some behaviors must
be adressed by doing something. Some horses just need to grow up and get
over such silliness. Some behaviors extinguish all by themselves. I think
the more important thing is to not put the horse in situations where they
are likely to rear. (This, of course, is the wisdom of hindsight.)

:-)

Deanna