[RC] frustrating ride - heidi sowards

reply below!

I don't ride my horse in Distance-but rather just trail riding in the state park near
where I board. My horse is an Arab/Saddlebred cross mare 16 years old.The trail goes from
the riverin one directon through a campsite and on to other trails. She only wants to go in
the direction of the river and not the campsite,it's not the camp she scared of , it's
the trail to it which goes through some dense forest,bushey corners and plenty of deer pop
in and out of the woods.The other day I decided to take this trail instead of the river
trail,she put up a fuss all the way-stopping,backing up,and trying to hop up on her hind
legs. We went though the woodsey part and onto the trail. She kept jumping at
everything,then finally she convinced me to give up,by half-rearing, and spinning around while
snorting. I was more frustrated than scared,we turned back she walked fast but still jumped at
things. What do I do? Or what should I have done?

You shouldn't have given up! Seriously, it will be harder even the next time you try! She's winning the game, you have to be more stubborn than she is. Give yourself all the time in the world and try again, stay out until dark if you have to but you win this game! You can do it! My stepdaughter has an appy that balks going up the trail, pretty much the same place, the first time she rode and turned around and came back and said she couldn't get him to go past that certain spot! I made her go back, went with her and gave her encouragement to get her horse over this. (It was harder the second time, he was worse, thinking he could get away with it again.) It's just disrespect. Poor Autumn was in tears, but if she kept giving in, this horse is smart enough that pretty soon she'd not be able to get him away from the barn. (He's 27 and knows better, but thinks he has her buffaloed!) Be calm, firm and encourage every time she takes a step in the right direction. If she jumps or balks, make her turn some circles every time she acts up. If she spins, keep her spinning, if she wants to do 1/2 circle, make her do 4! Don't lose your cool if you can help it and give positive rewards when she picks the right thing!  I'm not against carrying a crop and giving a tap to encourage forward movement if she stands and doesn't move. Not a beating mind you, just a tap/pop. I also use my voice alot, sounding mean and nasty when they're bad and soothing and sweet when they're good.  Hope this helps!

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine
| \~~~~~~
| \~~~~