Re: [RC] RE:Getting in the trailer - Lif Strand

At 10:27 PM 8/23/2004, Carol wrote:
And as far as the Natural training methods, I've tried those also and guess what! They use a whip also, only they call it a carrot stick but it's the same friggin' thing .

My horses aren't afraid of whips, carrot sticks, or anything like that. They *don't* get hit with them, and in fact the whip, carrot stick or regular stick or whatever, is there to extend my arm. You might say that my horses could still be afraid of them, but if you were here, I'd show you that they can tell the difference in my intent - I can move a whip towards them with the intention of touching them, and they don't move away. I can move a whip with the intention of asking the horse to move away from the whip, and they will.

It's a matter of communication. *Real* NH, apparently something you've never seen, is about communication. Whips, carrot sticks, ropes, are tools of communication, and they can bring about a response from a horse that has nothing whatsoever to do with fear, when used properly.

If you were driving down the road and someone along the way held up a stop sign, would you stop because you were afraid of the sign? Just so, horses who are *being communicated with* are perfectly capable of responding without fear.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA