[RC] RC: Trailer loading - Tom Murphy, RCDD

I am new to horses and the endurance sport and I have a growing passion for both.  My new four-year old Arab was, like many horses, reluctant to load in the trailer.  Thanks to great advice from others much more experienced in horse training than me, I learned that patience is a very useful virtue and "tool".  This too has carried over as a positive factor into my daily and family life as well.

Once we spent about an hour exposing Cutter to the trailer (at the door), we began "asking" him to just step in, which he did.  At first, he stepped in then quickly off.  Then he graduated to a half load,. with a reward.  Finally, he loaded all the way and has had very little problems since.

First, he realized that I was in charge, the trailer wasn't going to "eat" him and that getting in wasn't all that bad after all.  Man, we learned quite a bit about each other in those 2.5 hours. Enjoy

Tom Murphy
Davidson, NC