Re: Fw: [RC] Getting in the trailer- now respect and dominance - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Karen Sullivan wrote:

When riding horses, I see more problems arise from a rider trying to have an equal partnership....The horse gets confused as to who is really

You added the word "equal" which changes everything! Few partnerships are truly equal. Quoting from www.dictionary.com:

<<part·ner    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pärtnr)
n.

1. One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
1. A member of a business partnership.
2. A spouse.
3. A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.
4. Either of two persons dancing together.
5. One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.>>

Doesn't say equal in there. Two people cannot dance unless one leads and one follows, but they are still dance partners. Every team needs a captain. Even in a 50/50 business partnership it is rare to find true equality; one or the other is nearly always recognized by all partners, whether overtly or covertly, as the dominant partner. Even if all signatures are required to make a business decision, there's nearly always one partner who makes the decisions and the others go along -- except perhaps when one other partner's particular expertise convinces the dominant partner that a bad decision is about to be made, then the dominant partner reconsiders and decides otherwise, but is still the one leading the decision-making process!

Same with me and my horse. We are partners, but I'm the dominant partner, have to be for our mutual safety. I sometimes bow to his greater expertise in matters of trail safety or how to get back when we're lost <BG> but it's stll always me making the decisions, even when it's me deciding that he's right, so we'll follow his advice and go back to the left.

We each have responsibilities that make our partnership successful, but we are not "equal" partners because that is an unnatural situation.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819