Fw: [RC] Getting in the trailer- now respect and dominance - Karen Sullivan

I'll admit I have a bit of a problem with the whole "partnership" idea, in seeing too much of this touted as the end all and be all of training.  I have seen a lot of horse relationships over the years at my place, and have rarely seen any kind of equality between horses.  One always achieves dominance.  AND, this horse is the one that is most liked in the pasture!  The dominant horse gives the other horses security.

When riding horses, I see more problems arise from a rider trying to have an equal partnership....The horse gets confused as to who is really in charge, and tries to make their own decisions, often disasterous.  I think when riding a horse, there has to be no question that the rider is in charge and the horse's job is to be obedient to the rider.  Do I need to mention that a lot of praise and reward is integral?  Make the wrong thing have a uncomfortable consequence, and the right thing a reward.  If you don't work toward obedience, (and maybe some of you call it partnership), then you are unsafe on the horse and a danger to other riders.  This is why the RIDER needs to be dominant.....if someone gets into a pickle on the trail, and you need to MOVE your horse to avoid someone going over a cliff.....then your horse needs to MOVE, with no questions asked.

Years and years ago  I rode with someone who got caught up in the whole idea of natural horsemanship (without really understanding the respect issues), and also was afraid of her horse and unwilling to accept the consequences of disciplining it....and wanted this sort of touchey-feeley partnership.  Because the horse had some good prior initial training, before this gal got hold of it....it did what she wanted, most of the time.....other times it made it's own decisions.....not good.  All in all, the horse got worse and worse and more insecure as it had no idea who was really in charge.....

I think the idea of more of a partnership (maybe this is what Lif is refering to), comes later in years when you know what kind of horse you have under you; you have come through some difficult and dangerous experiences on the trail with the horse defering to YOU, well, then you can give your horse more freedom to make decisions.  Not to say you should not always listen to your horse, if it is tired, but those early years.....with a young energetic horse, if you let them canter every time THEY wanted to, you would be sunk!!!

Here is an example of what I am talking about with my young horse.  I take all responsibility for her faults and failings as I raised her and did all training with help of about 30 lessons so far with very good dressage instructor.  She was out on trails as a baby for many years, started very slowly and gradually, lots of slow schooling on trail with sympathetic friends.  She was not moved out much at all until this year, age 5.  She is nice and laid back and very, very obedient.  She has been so good so far people automatically think she is "trained.", and we are good in all situations.....

This weekend we went horse camping with a bigger group.  She was very well behaved, but got bonded to a friends horse.  Several times she tried to barge through the bit to get closer to this horse.  I did a lot of circles the opposite direction and figure 8's.  In one situation, the friends horse went up a steep creek bank trail and my mare attempted to just bolt up after her (this is the worst stuff she does).  Yes, she is bonded to the other horse and feels anxiety when the other horse gets too far away.  I have the choice of avoiding any separation issues (which would make MY horse happier), or see this as a training opportunity and nip it in the bud BERORE it becomes a DANGEROUS issue.  So, before she bolted up the creek bank, I hauled her head around and ran her in circles both directions, until she recovered her brain again, went up the bank nicely.  Yes, one other person had to wait behind me (but she enjoyed the spectacle and understands it is necessary).  It happened again the next day...had to do the same thing (then held up 3 people on the trail while we spun circles-well heck, I have babysat more than my share of green hroses and riders..and anyway, I had already made my horse wait quitely while one gal went to pee).....anyway, my POINT is that I had to really assert myself and DOMINATE my horse at that point, in order to continue to have a safe riding horse that can go out in the world and not get myself or my friends hurt....

And, yes, this is the reason why some trainers hang out their shingle and make a mint.....they take spoiled, dangerous horses and work them through all the things their timid riders are afraid to do....and instill some respect.  My days of taking on spoiled-
bad-actor horses becuase they were cheap or free are coming to a close.....I am getting too old.  I hope to train my young horses from the GET-GO, to establish the habit of doing what I ask always.....so this will follow through to the more difficult stuff.

Karen