Re: [RC] RE:Trailer loading - Jody Rogers-Buttram

So true.

Recently at a ride  someone spent 2 hours loading a horse.  The horse was not upset.  Just standing there looking in.   He was smarter than his owners.  Horses are smart and they will pull these things if they think they can get away with it.  I suppose he didn't want to "will" himself in the trailer.  ;)

Carol <cstiles@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I guess I should clarify what I said a little more. I would never advocate "forcing" a horse into a trailer by whipping or beating it. I'm talking about a horse that is just plain stubborn and playing games with the owner. When I said "encourage him in with the lounging whip" I meant just show it to him. At the most, a gentle tap on the rump to remind him to go forward if he doesn't respond. I am by no means hurting  them, any more, than if someone were applying leg pressure to urge the horse to go forward.  I also put carrots and treats in the manager because I believe in positive reinforcement also. Horses are not stupid. They can sense if someone is afraid of them and some horses will take advantage of a timid, unexperienced person. That's all. JMHO.
Carol

Do you Yahoo!?