----- Original Message -----
From: DRG1

Hi,

I am following the conditioning program of Dr Loving?s Book. I use a heart rate monitor & a GPS.

I am starting conditioning a Missouri Foxtrotter for Competitive trail (CTR). I just started 2 weeks ago from scratch (today is 8/22/04).

I ride 5 miles a day 3-4 times a week for a goal of 15-20 miles a week.

In fact, I believe getting the ?5 mi/ exercise day? at a heart rate of 100-140 is the most important thing ? it doesn?t matter how long it takes you to do that 5 miles, just as long as its in the training heart rate of 100 to 140 BPM.

*A few things here to remember...I think it really depends on the speed you go, the age of the horse and strength of their back already....and hardness of the terrain....

I have started several horses that were 3-5 with a lot of daily WALKING.....I really feel that many folks miss that part...it gets them out in the world in a routine....and the walking will build up muscles, tendons and ligaments very slowly....and better to add walking hills before doing a lot of trotting.

I think any conditioning program that is DAILY runs the risk of overlooking some slight strain or pull to a muscle..and not giving it any time to repair itself....

Once I get beyond the daily walking....and start some periods of jogging, I probably slip into every other day conditioning, with pasture turnout....always checking for leg heat and swelling, back tenderness.....

Here is the other big problem with daily conditioning.....from personal experience.  Your house never gets cleaned, the fences don't get repainted, and the place totally falls apart.

Karen

Do you Yahoo!?