Re: [RC] Hoosier daddy ride-thanks RM! - Truman Prevatt

This was their first ride. It was the first ride in that location in a long time so there was a lot of care and feeding of the forest service that had to go on before and after the ride. They were expecting between 80 and 100, 180 people showed up - many just showed up.  Of course when twice as many people show up than you expect most unannounced - you are screw as far as awards go. There was significant trail marker vandalism and management was spending much time all day Saturday trying to fix what had been screwed up. The trail marking was very good and although there was vandalism it was still easy to follow if you a) had listened at the ride meeting and b) paid attention. On Sund and Monday they had to go out and take down all the markers including the ones that were thrown on the ground by the vandals. Being there were a lot of ribbons on the ground, it would take a lot longer - getting and getting back on the horse.

The caterer was told to bring food for 180, but they under estimated the food needed and they ran out of food. We got up to the pavilion too late to get any food - no problem Ken refunded us our ticket on the spot and we went down the road and ate.  Just about every management nightmare that could happen - happened except maybe for the fact the weather was absolutely wonderful. With all that happened - the fact Ken didn't have a nervous breakdown on the spot is a mircle.

So give the guy a break. The best way to see rides disappear is to wail away at ride managers. I'm sure refunds will come. As far as cards go, they are property of the ride manager and if they chose to give them back fine, if not fine. At most SE rides the timer staff is so good that the ride cards are not needed to generate the reports to the AERC so they are normally retuned at the ride - but that is not a requirement and that is not standard.

Truman

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."