Re: [RC] Getting in the trailer - Jody Rogers-Buttram

I had to jump in...me and My big mouth.  This is how I see it:  A horse has the advantage in weight and strength.  Through the years that I have been shoeing horses, many people ask:  How does a 135lb woman handle a 1000+ lbs horse?  Actually, pretty easy.  It is from a, yes, here comes that word...being able to dominate them.  When I say that, I mean that you can control their MIND.  You must let them know you are the boss. I don't have to hit them, or beat on them, but there are tricks to let you mentally take the advantage.  These same types of tricks can work in many different areas of training.  From shoeing, to loading, to clipping,etc.  They learn that you 1) are not there to hurt them. 2) That you will ask certain things and they will give to YOUR will.  and 3) that just because you do ask them to go against their will, you are their friend and buddy.  I have had many horses that developed a close knit tie to me.  And all of them were well behaved and did as I asked them to.  What this does, is it teaches them to RESPECT you as their master.  A horse that doesn't have any respect for you, will do whatever he wants and can certainly get someone hurt.  Just my two cents worth.

Jody and the Well-behaved girls.

Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 07:34 AM 8/23/2004, Tina Hicks wrote:
>If you are and can have your horse do _everything_ you want him to do
>because you are truly _dominant_ over him then you really should hang out
>your shingle and start giving clinics - you could make a mint.

Because I am not interested in dominating anything, especially my horses,
in my training I develop partnerships without need to resort to
domination. This has worked very well over the years, with less stress to
me and the horses.