RE: [RC] Conditioning Miles - What Counts? - Christina Schiro

       I got some good responses back from people. Thanks from a newbie. I
wanted
to clarify a few things though. When I do lunge, such as in the round pen,
it is only around 10-20 minutes. But with such limited time (and daylight)
that I have, I want to put that towards my mileage, even if it comes out to
a 1/2 mile! Someone mentioned riding three times a week, and towards the end
of my program I should be around 8 miles, 8 miles, and 15 miles for the
three days. However, this is my program that I have worked out based on my
schedule: ride four times a week (Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, Saturday,
and Sunday). Saturday is my long day and right now I am up to 7 miles and
will slowly work up to 15. Tues, Wed, and Thursday I ride 3-4 miles each of
those days and will eventually work that up to 4 or 5 miles on Tues and Wed
and 8 miles on Saturday. Right now I am up to 18 miles a week and eventually
will work up to about 30 a week. Tues and Wednesday I ride after work, so I
can't put in more than 3-5 miles. I should mention that I am riding an
appaloosa, not an arabian, so does that matter? From what I have read, I
believe it does...it takes longer to condition. The last thing I wanted to
mention is that even though I board him at a "boarding stable", my horse has
an awesome living situation. He lives out in the country on a 40 acre horse
farm, has a stall in the 8 stall barn, but attached to each stall is a
private 1-5 acre grass pasture that he has 24/7 access to!! The horses get
rotated to a different stall/pasture every month or so they get to eat
different grasses and learn to live next to different horses. This is why
board my horse here and drive 45-50 minutes 4 times a week instead of
boarding him closer. I wish I could count the miles he spends motoring
around his pasture! He is 6 years old and he has always had this type of
arrangement. He has never been forced to be in his stall if he didn't want
to be.
       The only negative thing about his great "home life" is that he hates
being
confined and he hates being tied for long periods of times. The first and
last time I took him overnight (2 nights) camping he had to spend hours at a
time and overnight in a 10x10 space (since the park has 10x10 paddocks and
stalls, you can't put up your own large pens). I was volunteering at a
distance competition and brought him along for the camping experience. I
also brought my husband along as the horse-sitter to take him for walks
since I was busy most of the weekend, but my horse was still so fed up by
the end of the weekend that when I tried to load him in the trailer he gave
me the "in like hell will you get me in that small space" look. I was tired
and just wanted to go home. So I brought out the lunge whip and with another
person's help we got him in. We secured the trailer and got in the truck.
That's when all hell broke loose. Eye witnesses said my horse just went
ballistic. He ended up sticking his front legs through the slats of the
stock trailer, then flipping upside down with all four legs sticking
straight up. The panic snap didn't unsnap so he head was still attached up
high! To make the long story short, he had no major injuries, he is fine
now, has been back in the trailer for day trips to the same park with no
problems, and yes, we are going camping again next month, again in October
and November each, so hopefully he will get used to the camping things
before our first ride in January. I figure if people can tame the wild
horses of the west, tame them, and stick 'em in stalls, my darn horse will
just have to get used to spending a few horses in 10x10 space for a few
hours.
Christina