[RC] trailer hitches - Juneir

Another thing to be careful about seems so obvious but....  Let me tell you what happened to me last weekend.  My partner and I were heading down south to pick up a new horse and decided to take our recently acquired mini motorhome (class B).  We stopped for gas and as we drove into the gas station over a higher than normal ramp, the hitch grounded out and popped off the ball.  I have had trailers since the early 70's, and this had never happened to me before.  My friend said that it was because the hitch sat so low and the motorhome had a fairly long overhang behind the back wheels.  Said it happened a few weeks ago when he pulled the trailer for the first time after setting up the new hitch. He just was careful where he went.  I was upset and wanted to go back home and get my old trusty gooseneck instead but he said it only happened in extreme situations.  Well we fixed it and were still arguing while I watched him pull out of the gas station and right before my eyes, it happened again - much too easily!  Are you sure you have the right size ball? I said.  Of course, he replied - all horse trailers take a #2 ball.  Well I know better than that since over the years I have owned many trailers and some have had different size hitches.  We doubled checked the hitch where the size was displayed but the paint had been scratched off so it was very difficult to read but we were finally able to makeout that it needed a 2 5/16th ball!!!  My message is  don't assume someone else always knows what they are doing... and check yourself that everything is done correctly.  This could had been a very nasty accident instead of an inconvenience.  Guys!!!!!!