[RC] GERA ride - rides2far

Just back from Dawsonville. Sometimes the weather is kind to those who
ignore the weather man. :-)

Friday I had to work (I teach) and kept checking the radar. This huge
green blob with a core of yellow and red was creeping in from the west
and I was feeling sick thinking about it. One of my students looked at
the radar and said, "They still have it"? "Yes". "Do you *have* to go?"
"Yes...because if you don't the front will miss them, or the storm will
be overnight and then the next day everybody will tell you how cool and
perfect it was and that you missed the best one ever"!

Another problem was that I was planning on shoeing my horse after I got
there. I'm riding my neice's horse this fall and he had arrived with
shoes about 6 weeks ago. I am supposed to sell this horse for her
eventually since my neice got married last week and is in grad school
with no time in the near future to ride. I wasn't crazy about the length
of his toe and really wanted Jaye Perry to have a good look at him. Jaye
lives right by Dawson Forest and said he'd shoe him there. So here I am
showing up at 6:30 with a horse that needs shod and a storm blowing in
the distance. :-P  Jaye pulled the old shoes and underneath there was a
little black line along the white line. He put hoof testers on it and
thick black liquid oozed out. I had never seen anything like it. He told
me what it was, cleaned it out and didn't seem particularly worried. Just
medicated it and put pads on.

This horse is 15 years old. has 670 miles now, and has just been competed
sporadically since he was 5. He hadn't done a 50 since 2001 and I'd only
had him back for a month so I knew I was pushing it to do 50...but then
doing unconditioned 50's has been his specialty since he spent a lot of
time as a backup horse. :-P I asked Jaye if I should drop down to 30 but
he just said, "He's not sore. I took care of it, do what you came to do".
Sometimes I think Jaye's like Peter when he walked on the water. If you
just have faith and say it will work it will. If he tells me I can do it
I have a habit of believing him and it always works out. >g<

The roads at Dawson Forest are hard packed with big ol' chunk gravel. The
trails are beautiful, hilly going up and down into the river bottoms. I
think the trail was the prettiest I have seen it there, but it could be
that the weather was so cool and breezy I was just able to enjoy it for
the first time. It was also nice to be on a horse that was willing but in
control for a change. Not too far into the ride we came up on where a
bunch of pine beetle damaged trees had blown over blocking the trail. Jim
Holland and some others were backtracking after being unable to get
around it to the right of the trail. The woods looked like a tornado had
been through. I'd thought we were towards the back but soon a LOT of
horses showed up and everybody was really at a loss for what to do. We
were actually wondering if we were on the right trail since we were
following permanent markers on blazed trees and wondered if we'd gotten
on the wrong trail. Suzanne Solis showed up and as a member of management
HAD FAITH, and *willed* herself to find us a path through the deadfall,
then held back limbs while we all managed to get back up to the trail
which was fine after that spot.

Not too far down the trail we had a road crossing where Mary Yeager was
turning us down the road to avoid another patch of trees that had fallen
during the night. I have no idea how management knew about that one so
soon but there was very little delay over either "emergency" and it all
worked out great. They had somebody out there with a chainsaw to clear it
before our 2nd time around.

All day long the weather was GREAT. It always looked like it might rain.
The sky was gray with the sun only peeking through for about 30 min. in
the afternoon to show us how bad it *could* have been. There was a good
breeze that made the humidity less of a factor and it was a HUGE help.
This was my 4th competition this year, on four different horses...three
of which I didn't own or usually ride. It's interesting to ride a strange
horse but you're a little leary of what weaknesses might show up. I
honestly had a ball riding Rock though. It took him awhile to figure out
that I was crazy and he'd better eat and drink since we were going to be
out there awhile. Suzanne Solis and I both just wanted to get around with
the minimal wear & tear on the horses so we had a good time blowing along
on the flat and having long gossipy walks up every incline. I was
thrilled to see Rock stay 100% sound even though he was on fresh shod
feet without pads in the rear. He had some B's on gut sounds in the
middle of the ride but kicked in and ate & drank well after a little lul
and was very good at the end. The rain held off till we were about 1/2
mile from camp and then the bottom fell out just to let us know how bad
it "could have been". Got a quick inch of water in the buckets all around
the truck. Small price to pay for a breeze & shade all day. :-) After the
ride I'd decided Rock would be perfect to market as a junior horse for a
fast sponsor since he has speed but is controllable. I was amazed I
wasn't very sore after doing such a slow ride on him.  Then this morning
I took him for a walk he was prancing circles around me and he looked so
darned good I'm thinking, "Maybe I'll just ride him in a few more rides
before labeling him. >eg< The best part is that my neice also has a 3
horse extended dressing room Aluminum Exiss she wants me to sell...but
they told me not to sell it till after the horse sells...and drive it
till I sell it. Hmmm. Let me see, *what* is my incentive to hurry? >eg<

As to ride results, sorry I don't know the name of the winner. She looked
twenty something, slim, nice skin, attractive (so obviously hasn't been
competing long >eg<) I think she & her husband were both in top 10...
M.... last name???  Others in top 10 I remember, Debra Ivey, Bud
Davidson, Adele Dennard, "Sheik Josh"(He's really from India, we're
messin' with him), Samantha & Sandy Thompson, Wes Crowe was up there,
Jody & Joanie Buttram were 11 & 12 and Joanie was first Jr.  I know Jim
Holland finished. The lady who won was BC.  All I know about the 25 was
that Wes Crowe's old horse Fact (sp?) won. Completion rates were very
high in both rides. No horses treated. Management did a great job
responding to trail emergencies. Thanks GERA. :-))

Angie & Southern Rock

Not the quarry but the chase. Not the trophy but the race.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!