Re: [RC] AERC Drug rule - heidi

      I think to some extent poor beleaguered Frances has been misunderstood;
think what she is trying to say is that riders are openly disclosing
that  they are feeding various things during competition.  Frances
thinks these  things are illegal; the other riders clearly don't, or
they wouldn't be so  forthcoming about discussing them.  In many cases,
the supplements have  been recommended by veterinarians, compounding the
confusion.

I thought that was pretty clear in Frances's posts...  And you are all too
right about how often veterinarians have recommended that riders use
things that are actually in violation of Rule 13.  Vets who are not
associated with endurance are simply not used to that sort of stringency,
and since many deal with show horses that are often potioned and pilled to
the gills, they have a hard time making the shift.  It is also a tough
thing for riders (especially inexperienced riders) to grasp that their
home veterinarian may actually be urging them to use something that is in
violation.

To me, at least, this is the most frustrating aspect of Rule 13.  I think
it is a wonderful rule--but when even veterinarians can't see beyond the
next competition to the concept of lifetime wellness for a horse, it is
pretty sad.

Heidi