From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, August 21, 2004 12:19 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Drugs

".... i just heard people are taking their horses out of camp sites the
night before rides so they can IV Electrolytes before a Race...."

This is one of those things that causes me to wonder:  "Would this
really give a horse an advantage?"  Would one of the vets give an
opinion on this.

My guess would be that by the time the race started, the hydration and
blood electrolytes would be the same as in my horse who quietly spent
the night eating, drinking, with proper added 'lytes.  Another problem
is, the IV site could not be shaved resulting in an increased chance of
infection.  In any event the detection of a needle mark would be another
bit of evidence of an invasive procedure. \

JMHO, but it sure doesn't seem worth the risk of an IV to do such a thing,
for one, and for two, if the horse is adequately hydrated anyway, he is
just going to pee them out.  Only scenario in which I can see it helping
is in a horse that hauled poorly and then won't eat and drink
overnight--and if that is the case, I'd seriously wonder about either his
suitability for the sport in the first place or if he is "having a bad
hair day" I'd question the advisability of riding him to the edge
anyway...  Lots more apt to be haywire than just fluids, if that is the
case.

Heidi