RE: [RC] [RC] re: Mountain Bike thread - Howard Bramhall

I'm having problems understanding why this is such a surprise. There are nuts in the bicycle world, the hiking world and the 4 wheeler world, just like there are nuts in ours (equestrian). The nuts believe only their activity should survive; all others must die or fade away.

I went to a joint use trail meeting one time, years ago, and discovered I was one of the nuts, on the equestrian side. Some President of a hiker organization, here in Florida, started ranting about horses leaving impressions on the ground to such a degree his group of friends started calling them "ankle breakers." When he was done, I got up and spoke my mind (scary thought, I know). I started espousing on the beauty of the horse and that they, the hikers, would be lucky if they got to walk along the same hallowed ground as the horse. The horse is stronger; his ankle rarely breaks from merely walking.

Needless to say, I don't go to any of these joint trail use meetings after that one, for the sake of my fellow riders, because, I know I am one of the nuts. I am so caught up in my world, the horse world, that I have difficulty understanding others, even though I do enjoy hiking and bicycling. But, alas, of the three, there's nothing like a horse.

I will soon enter a world, the Smokie Mountains, where I will have to share trails with avid hikers. A great part of the Appalachian trail, in my new neck of the woods, is co-shared with horse use and hiker. It's about the only section of the Appalachian trail that is. From what I've seen of that section, and, it's only been a very small portion, I will avoid it. There are so many other horse only trails in those mountains that they will be the ones I learn first. And, when I do run into a hiker (not literally, I hope) I will give way, be nice (out of character, I know), and even dismount if the situation dictates.

Our world is not theirs, and, I do want to share, even to the point where I give in, but, I will not give everything to those who think their world is the only one that matters. Sometimes, we have to make a stand and be prepared to fight. For this cause, I am willing to give ground, but, not lose the right to ride. For that right, I am prepared to die.

cya,
Howard (OK, maybe, a little over the top there at the end, but, it is everything, to me)

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Cindy Collins" <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [RC] re: Mountain Bike thread Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:38:14 -0600

Just had to share my thoughts/experiences on equestrians "fighting" other
users.  I don't want to get into a big argument with anyone and I am not a
mountain bicyclist.  However, try to remember that there are plenty of
users out there that find horses extremely offensive on trails.  Yes, that
is hard for us to believe, but it is true.  People in glass houses have to
be very careful about throwing stones.  Equestrians are high on the list
of users that many hikers (and others) would like to see banned from USFS
and wilderness.  Cindy