[RC] training miles - larry Miller

Lunging puts strain on the horse because of the circles.  So I wouldn't lunge.  Training miles should be done in the saddle, sometimes one can pony another horse if two horses need the miles.  Because the horse is at a boarding stable, see if the horse can be turned outside as much as possible.  5, 7, 10 , 15 and more miles should be done at a time.  Walk and trot until the recoveries are pulse in the low 40s (respiration should be in the 20s or below), then speed up the work.  Walk trot canter, do the set miles faster.  When those recoveries are acceptable, then longer miles at a faster pace.  The recoveries tell when one can increase and/or speed up the work.  I like to do 2 days, then off a day, 3 days then off 2 days or something similar.  Always assess the horse, how it is doing, is it too much, have I done enough, but pay attention to what the horse is telling you.  Everyone does his/her training a little different BUT the basics are the same.  Jeanie who made 5000 (5023 to be exact) miles on Maggie last Sat!!  YESSSSSSSS