Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1771 - KKMoonshadowrnch

In a message dated 8/19/04 1:58:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Only in my area substitute ATV for mountain bike.
Even worse, ATVs go faster than a mountain bike (& ridden by 8 year olds
with no sense how to drive!!!)

I sort of like how our local trails have handled it.  We have about 90,000 acres of state land that is divided pretty much in half.  The top half is for hikers, bikers and ATV's and the lower half is for hikers, bikers and horseback riders.  So far I have never had any problems with bikers.  They have always been very courteous and pulled off the trail to let us by.  They can get going pretty fast, but so far they have always heard us coming and are able to slow down.  We're having our first endurance ride there this year on September 25th.  I'm a little bit worried that it might be a bit much for the trails as it's like 98% single track and if we have a lot of folks blasting through the trails past the hikers and bikers it could mean that we won't be able to come back next year.  I'm hoping everything goes OK.

I am of the belief that our horses are pretty intimidating to most regular folks and
that we really have to try and be the MOST courteous users of the trail if we want to maintain our right to use them.  OH, IMO I think that the damage done to the trails by ATV's is horrendous, but it's their 45,000 acres I guess.  Later,

Kathy & Nick
McKenna, WA
Moonshadow Ranch