[RC] getting into the trailer - Tracey Smith

Butt ropes work great!  My mare Amira would not load for squat when I first started taking her out on the trails (was unbroke when I got her as a rescue).  Found out very quickly that someone had abused her on the nose, so stud chains or pressure there did not work.

My farrier is actually who rigged me up a butt rope and first showed me how to use it He made a sling of sorts that went around the butt and under the chin part of the halter.  It put enough pressure on her head she would not rear and then when he gently reeled the rope in she'd finally get in.  I just have a straightload 2 horse so at first had to get in the empty stall to "help" her in and out.

Had to use the butt rope consistently for about 3 months and then she'd load with just me in the empty side encouraging her in...but sometimes would revert to "butthead mode" and I'd pull out trusty old buttrope to get her in.

I also had trouble teaching her to back out..she was very nervous and had to get in and back her out.  I started working with verbal cues with her "load up" for getting in and when backing out "back" and when she got to the edge "step down" and I am happy to say I now can load her by just walking up to the trailer and giving the "load up" cue.  She sticks head in and sniffs and then steps on in.

She's still slow backing out but I just keep encouraging her and she gets better every time.  She's 9 and only been under saddle about 14 months, but showing such great progress.

Tracey