  From: Stacy Sadar=20
  To: Jeannie Gillen ; nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [RC] trail user issues

  I totally agree with Jeannie.  Everyone needs to work together.  Too =
many of us horse people poo poo the bike riders and vice versa.  We =
should all be working together on the trails instead of "these are my =
trails and those are yours."

  I have a husband, who does not ride horses but rides a mountain bike.  =
We ride on trails together.horse & bike.  Of course, we are always at =
issue with where can we go where we won't get a bike or a horse =
confiscated.  He will never (as far as he's concerned) ride a horse so =
we must do it this way in order to be hang together.

  My advice is to definitely work together on building multi-purpose =
trails.it will save everyone time and money in trail building.  Strongly =
suggest safety training for bike riders, hikers, joggers and horse =
riders.  What I mean by this is have a get together meeting to teach the =
safety of riding together.  When my husband and I first introduced my =
Arab to the bike, I was NOT on the horse.  We led the horse to the bike =
who snorted.backed up.wanted to turn and run.  We coaxed him to =
it.smelled it.seemed a little better.  My husband then got on the bike =
and rode around it in front of him.  After the horse was comfortable, he =
rode the bike completely around the horse.   Then he called his name and =
rode away from him, and to our surprise he trotted right after him!  I =
then told my husband that he needed to fall.  He looked at me and said, =
"WHAT!?"  I told him he had to fall, because we knew it would happen =
eventually on trail with the horse.  Well, he proceeded to "fall" and =
the horse trotted right past him and gave him a "what an idiot" look!  =
Now, this horse can run into any bike riders, jog strollers (which are =
allowed on many of our horse trails, but the bikes aren't.I have a beef =
with this one), and even mini bikes.  The more exposure and training for =
all, the better it will be for everyone's safety.  We have done this =
same training exposure to many friends' horses.  We have also talked =
with other hikers & bikers on trail to teach them quick safety tips on =
being around horses.  Believe me, we haven't had anyone upset with our =
talks, but rather thankful someone told them.

  Let's all work together.

  Stacy