[RC] [RC] sweet itch/flax seed/ALLERGIES - Patti Kuvik

Hi Mel -
Sounds like you have already "tried everything".
This is just an idea, but I would look at diet - specifically, getting my
hay analyzed.
You can get it analyzed at Equi-Analytical
http://www.equi-analytical.com/Services/Analytical%20services.htm for only
$29 - a lot cheaper than many other things.
What I would be looking for specifically is:
- high iron: blocks absorbtion of other trace minerals, especially copper,
manganese and zinc which are essential for good skin health, and can
interfere with immune function.
- low copper, manganese and/or zinc, essential for good skin health; these
minerals also play a part in some antioxidant effects.
- high molybdenum levels, competes with copper
- insufficient calcium, insufficient phosphorus or "inverted"
calcium:phosphorus ratio (phosphorus too high). Calcium can help block high
iron absorbtion but needs proper Ca:P ratio to work well.
These problems are all easily corrected once you know what you're working
with (increasing copper to counterbalance high iron, keeping approx 1:3
ratios of copper to zinc and manganese, adding beet pulp for calcium, rice
bran and flax for phosphorus) and it's not difficult once you know why
you're doing it. "Minimum requirements" for basic major and trace minerals
can also be found at the Equi-Analytical website under the "Putting Results
to Work Button" - click on "Requirements Tables".
Other things I'd look at -
- that protein is quality source (soy based protein in feeds/supplements can
be "pro-imflammatory")
- protein level around 12% - can use whey proteinate to boost if alfalfa not
a safe source
- selenium (2-4mg) supplemented if in known deficient area, along with
vitamin E (1,000 to 4,000 IU); antioxidants, mutually supportive. Not likely
to overdose at these levels even if selenium in feed is sufficient.
- consider bioflavanoids (grape seed extract, for example); antioxidant
- iodine (2 mg) supplemented, supports thyroid, thus other hormone functions
- vitamin A supplemented if not on alfalfa or grass
- flax (Omega-3) and rice bran (Omega-6) in approx 2 or 3:1 ratio for
essential fatty acids, support immune function (high levels of Omega-6 not
balanced with Omega-3 can be "pro-imflammatory").*
- adequate loose salt, 2-3 ounces in feed to balance normally high potassium
in most hays in addition to plain white salt block. Salt (and other
electrolytes) and it's relation to hydration has some effect on the
absorbtion of everything else.

Some things found in "antioxidant" supplements (such as HorseTech PreOx
http://www.horsetech.com/default.htm
or VitaKey AntiOxidant http://vita-key.com/antioxidant_concentrate.htm )
include B vitamins, biotin, lysine, methionine, vitamin C and amino acids
which are not "normally required" but can help a challenged horse strengthen
the immune system. Platinum Performance is also supportive - I personally
don't care for it as it has added iron and low levels of copper, probably
not an issue if hay is not high iron. These are things a horse would either
manufacture in their body or obtain from fresh, growing forage but possibly
not in a hay-based diet.

My personal opinion is that when the diet is adequately balanced without
excesses or deficiencies, many "allergies" turn out to not be allergies at
all, just the body's inability to cope at the time. (Not to say there aren't
real allergies - but good nutrition can help there, too.) Using supplements
to bring the ration at least to minimum requirements when you know what is
already in your feed is safer than just "shotgunning" supplements.

As I said, this is just an idea (or suggestion?) - which I feel falls in the
"can't hurt, might help" category. Feel free to run it by anyone else (your
vet, Susan G, Heidi?) I glean most of my nutrition info from Dr. Eleanor
Kellon's books and comments on the Cushing's list, Dr. Susan G.'s articles
and her comments on RC, the NRC "Nutritional Requirements of Horses" book,
hopefully more than a dash of common sense, and seeing what works for mine.
I don't rely on people who are selling their own product - their theories
often match the feed or supplement they are selling (there are a few
exceptions). I also feel that most horses, most of the time, do quite well
on whatever we give them but when we have a "challenged" horse it's
worthwhile to pay closer attention to their total ration.

Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ
RN, Hobby nutritionist in training, proponent of "less is more"

*I recently did an extensive literature search on Omega-3 and Omega-6 in IV
feeding of critical human patients - there's a lot of supportive research on
balancing 3 and 6 ratios.

From: Sundaez@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] sweet itch/flax seed/ALLERGIES

This thread as got me reading as you guys may remember I have a more that
is
allergic to A LOT of things. She's allergic to corn, alfalfa, wheat, oats,
wool, molasses, flies and mesquitos

Last March I started her on allergy shots (remember the thread on whether
giving shots was against AERC violation). Some of you suggested I give her
time
off stress free while getting the shots, and I have. The treatment has
been
expensive. In addition I also started her on flax back then and am using
Fly
predetors in addition to keeping fly stuff on her.  She is also fly
sheeted
24/7.
The results 5 months later?

She is exactly the same as if I had been doing nothing. Still has a couple
bare patches on her chest and backs of her ears, and face.

So....I give up really. I'll still continue the shots, and avoid the foods
know she is allergic to (try feeding an endurance horse with so many
allergies) but I'm not going to give up on her as my primary horse. She is
NOT in
danger of anaphylactic shock should she take a bite of alfalfa as some of
you had
suggested.  She is going to a ride in a month and I'll have to listen to
the
vets say she has allergies again. It is embarrassing to have a moth eaten
horse
6 months out of the year but really I don't know what else to do.

Mel