[RC] reply to Bob Morris - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Frances gumbootballet@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heidi, I get it!! I have from the beginning. As I said long ago, I have been
acting as the Devil's Advocate. I can't give my horse anything except feed and
e-lytes. I've got the message. I have lived by the rules for my very short
endurance life so far and I will not stray! My problem comes from witnessing an
incident at a recent ride and wondering if I might be able to help clear up
what appears to me to be a huge misconception about what is legal and what
isn't. If you scroll down a bit you will find another person's post about
Platinum Performance and, possibly, another misconception that anything
"natural" is just fine in a ride. I know of several people who's horses get
joint formulas every day of their lives, including ride days, and their owners
swear by the stuff.If I, living in a tiny and remote part of the endurance
world, have seen and heard several obvious examples of riders bending the
rules, what must be going on in some of the really big rides? This problem just
isn't going to go away until the rules can be made clear to ALL competitors. I
know that YOU understand what is required and I get it too but I think there
needs to be something done to make ALL riders aware of the expectations of the
AERC. Obviously changing the wording of the rules is beyond the realm of
possibility so maybe it would be more realistic to get a "rider education"
program going where each ride entry spells out clearly, in lay man's terms, not
AERCs, the expectation that horses will be ridden without the benefit of any
added concoctions. Or maybe each rider needs to sign something on their entry
that states that they are aware of Rule 13, in all its glory, and have abided
by it for X amount of time before the ride and will do so until the competition
is over. I don't know what the answers are but I'm beginning to empathize with
the legendary messangers of old,who were stoned to death for being the bearers
of unwelcome news.