Re: [RC] The Drug Rule in Court - Truman Prevatt

Yep the Carr case was settled with a gag order, but after it the AERC BOD did get insurance! The Tevis case didn't go much farther since the AERC backed off. That was 8 to10 years ago. Today people are selling endurance hores for 100,000 a million bucks and some people make a significant portion of their income training and selling endurance horses. Such things are no longer "amateur." I suspect that given this change if such a person went to court for redress, then the courts might take a different tone. There is also no guarantee that the "suit can only be sued in CA" will hold water in the future.

While I am not going to admit to or disagree with the assertion that I am or am not a "nice" person, it has nothing to do with being nice - it has to do with legal redress. Today the AERC is a corporation with an annual income of over six hundred thousand dollars. The AERC is a corporation with a significant sponsor base. The AERC is no longer a rinky dink saddle club and can rely on being a small amature sport as part of its defense. The AERC is involved in an international sport where prize money is paid. Ten years can make a lot of difference on how the courts look at something. I suspect and hope the last thing the AERC wants to do is get embroiled in a law suit.

Truman

PS: Being nice is not important, being a fair person is.

katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

p.s.  I don't know Truman at all, but I suspect that despite his assertion
to the contrary, he is also nice enough not to try to drag a bunch of
well-meaning volunteer amateurs into court over something as
inconsequential as the outcome of an endurance ride.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."