RE: [RC] [RC] Howard? - Howard Bramhall

I'm fine. Horses are fine! Wife, kid, mother in law (geez, I gotta story to tell ya'll about this woman) are all doing fine.

Lost electric the day after the storm on Saturday. Lost cable and and phone during. Watched this thing roll in, on cable, the night Charlie hit Daytona. Started in Port Charlotte, ran right thru down town Orlando and, headed towards my place. Over 100 MPH, steady winds.

Darn thing missed us, by golly the eye anyway, by 15 miles. I had all 6 horses in the barn. I just had a bad visual of picturing them, in my mind, running around, dodging downed trees, in my back yard. Trees are what kills, in my neighborhood, during storms like these. I put them, the horses, in the barn and was glad, the next day, that I did. When I took a look, at daylight on Saturday, I had 8 downed trees on my 5 acres. Mostly big pines, with a little oak thrown in.

There was this one tree, right in front of my house, that had received a direct hit, during a violent thunderstorm that had rolled in two months ago, in June. I knew that tree was dead, and, well, Charlie removed him for me. In the perfect direction, because, had the wind direction been the other way, 180 degrees in the other direction, that treet would have landed on, and, I'm quite sure, thru, my roof.

So, on Saturday, the day after, we lost electric and didn't get it back on till last night, right before dark. I had logged over 40 hours on my generator in my motor home. Thank God for this motor home; otherwise, the choice was Mother in Law's trailer (she got electric back on Sunday and this was the day my wife and me both convinced her her trailer was her place to be) or a motel room, and I was purty sure they were all full.

On Saturday, the day after, I drove my son back to his home, beachside, and got to see the devastation, first hand. We drove around down trees which were shutting down most of the road, downed powerlines, with more misplaced trees thrown in, leaning across the road (trees and powerlines), in a precarious manner. You knew the electric was off because none of the stop lights were working and all businesses were shut down. Cops, scattered around, here and there, mostly controlling traffic at the busier intersections in town. On the Interstate, we saw National Guard, heading to areas, not far, worse hit than we were. Watching it all unfold on TV last nite, I knew where that area was, south of us, by about 15 miles.

Still, my area, overall, was lucky. When it comes to a hurricane, it's much better to be the exit point than the entry. Punta Gorda took on such a bad hit, well, if you have relatives, friends, or horses in that area and they were there Friday nite, I hope they survived, because, survival is the only goal, in that situtation. I know the biggest surprise to those there was that it went from a Cat two (survivable) to a Cat 4 (run like Hell). I don't remember it ever even being labeled a Cat Three; where did that Cat 3 status go? Throw that in with a 90 mile miss guestimate fromy where it was going to supposedly hit land, and, well, I'm just glad I'm no longer a Weatherman. They have some pissed off folks thinking of em.

Anyway, thanks for thinking of me, and, well, glad ya'll didn't come by and follow my idea of an endurance hurricane (illegal) ride, even though it sounded like fun times. Maybe, next time, after the summer and hurricane season are done, we can come up with a reason to have one of those. Heck, better yet, let's do it in Tennessee. I'll be living there real soon. Got to set some fence and build us a barn. Florida, next hurricane, me and my kin (horses included, of course) will all be in Tennessee.

I wrote a poem about Tennessee, while those Charlie winds were blowing through my back yard trying to rip out our roof:

Tennessee, it's the place to be
The place for me, my Tennessee
This hurricane can kiss my ass
When it runs out of gas
Tennessee is where I'll be
Thank you Lord, for Tennessee

That was dedicated to my new Tennessee neighbor, Susan Kasemeyer. lol

cya,
Howard

----Original Message Follows---- From: Ag47xAu49@xxxxxxx To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [RC] Howard? Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:29:53 EDT

No one has heard from Howard? Does anyone have a phone # for him? Beccy in
Ut.