Re: [RC] Horse Identification (Kyro Kinetics) - Dot Wiggins

I have a recorded brand (Idaho).   Had a brass iron made by skilled
machinist, hot irons don't work for freeze branding.  I think it cost around
$40.

Last fall we freeze branded 6 horses, including my white grey and a younger
darker grey, as well as chestnuts.  Clipped the brand area closely.   Used
liquid nitrogen, and the heavy brass irons.   Eight (8) seconds on the dark
horses, twelve (12) seconds on the greys.   The other horses were slightly
sedated, following dental work, mine was not.
I did hobble her, she's used to that, just in case.
There was no difference in the reaction of the sedated horses and my
unsedated horse to the application of the iron, stood rock still.   Within
15/30 minutes a raised area appeared in the shape of the letters, and my
horse seemed to be aware of some minor discomfort there.
She turned her head to it and shifted the shoulder muscles.    That may have
lasted 45 minutes, there was no indication of discomfort after a 30 minute
trailer ride home.       The raised area subsided in a few days.  Over
several weeks there was a thin layer of skin that gradually peeled away.
When she was fully shed out this spring there is a perfect brand, mostly
bare skin with an edge of coarser white hair.   The darker horses grew in
white hair for a nice clean brand.

I've used hot irons on horses  in the past, it works well if the brand
itself is a good shaped one, and it is _properly done_.  There is a longer
healing time, and I suspect more discomfort at the time of application, but
many stood rock solid while it was done.

I prefer the cold brand, easier and quicker.    Both will usually bring the
horse home in time, and thieves usually have no interest in a visibly marked
horse.

I agree in emergency situations any way to put your phone or other quick
contact info on the critter is essential.
The livestock markers last well, it seems to take forever to get off after a
ride, shouldn't think rain would do much to them for few days.  Never
thought of clipping, but that would take longer to do.  Last longer though.

I don't seem to have a picture that shows the brand,  let me know if it's
important to you, I'll try and get one soon.  (Horse needs a new picture
anyway)