[RC] Sweet itch - Stewart, Carrie

The only luck I have had in combating sweet itch has been adding flax seed to my horses’ diets.  I have 3 bays and they all need to be on ground flax seed when the weather is conducive to those pesky black gnats.  You have to play with the amount to suit the horse.  I usually start out with 1/3 cup and go from there.

Some say you don’t need to ground it but you can get about 1 ¾ to 2 cups ground flax for every cup of seeds.  More cost efficient to ground it.

Carrie Stewart

Central Region