Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Identification - Lynne Glazer

Respectfully, IMO with a freeze mark they go deeper than the acne type treatment you had. I've had considerable liquid nitrogen treatments for actinic keratoses (pre-cancerous stuff) on the back of my hands mostly (from not putting sunscreen there, before I started wearing gloves while riding) and believe me, it hurts afterwards for a while. Had it for a keloid scar once also, even more extensive healing needed. Then the spots turn into raisin-like welts, and you have to leave them like that until they drop off by themselves.

KK did both my horses, and there most definitely WAS scabbing which took months to shed. I believe it causes pain, but less so than hot branding. Both of my horses still find those spots the itchiest on their necks and love having them scratched.

Agreed in general on preferring freeze marks to microchips due to its visibility. Agree with Jonni about the braided tags. The neck bands can break away, sold through livestock catalogs. One large TWH barn used them for years, because of all those black broodmares with similar bloodlines due to their small gene pool. In 7 years of observation, didn't see any of them hurt themselves, but their place had no trees with branches to catch on.

Lynne