[RC] Charley - MarisR

Winds at my house were strong enough to knock over people, but thank God no damage to my home, barn, horses, trees, trailer, etc.
My biggest concern was for the horse that had surgery 2 weeks ago of a non-healing stifle fracture.  I posted about him a few weeks ago.  I called the vet in advance of the storm, she said to wrap his leg with strong supportive bandages and turn him out.  He's supposed to be at stall rest for a few more weeks.  So of course, like any outside horse kept locked up for a few weeks, the first thing he did was roll a bunch of times, then buck, rear, and buck some more.  Then gallop around the pasture.  Then the bunch settled down to ride out the storm.  Nothing for me to do but wait it out.
This morning, his leg is less swollen than before the storm, and no sign oftenderness or of lameness at the walk.  He looks great.  Seems like the overnight turnout caused no ill effect that I can tell.  After stripping his soaked stall and rebedding it, I put him back in, which seemed like torture.  Hopefuly this is a good sign that things are healing well, and that his is ready to increase his activity just a bit.  The vet was worried that this would set him back.  I'm glad this was a case of false alarm.
I hope all your critters are safe.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Maris Ramsay

horses--the anti-drug