[RC] [RC] Sweet itch - sherman

Jennifer,
I have been caring for a mare for 5 years now that has allergic type itching & scratching. This mare has pretty much mutilated  herself terribly every year, rubbing herself raw & bloody, using fence posts, trees, boulders, having open sores & scabbing on her legs, belly, & especially her face & jaws, always getting worse as summer & fall approach, somewhat clearing up during the winter & then starting up in the spring again. Her owner says the mare has always done this, she's 18 or 19 now. Lots of skin conditioners & supplements were tried over the years, but the owner did not want to give benedryl due to drowziness.

Well, this year, beginning in the winter, the mare had to be separated from her pals due to her "food aggression" issues, the mare got angry being alone & started chewing wood. The owner put her on a supplement called Quitt for the wood chewing, and, and unexpected result was that her crazy itchiness has calmed down dramatically. She's still itchy, but she no longer mutilates herself over it. Every once in a while, I find a small rubbed area that I can treat with some skin conditioner, where before she was always bloody & scabby & needing treatment every day.

I don't know why this supplement works, but if you don't find another cure, you might want to try this. Maybe a vet could explain why this supplement has made the horse quit scratching. Maybe it stops the obsessive behavior?

Kathy
Grass Valley