[RC] sequel to World's Lowest Selenium Levels - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Frances gmbootballet@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On June 15th I had my first blood panel done on my Appendix QH mare, who was
winning CTRs and top tenning in 50 mile endurance rides. Her selenium levels
were a staggering .054, with everything else in the low-ish end. She had never
shown any signs of cramping or discomfort. I couldn't believe it and
immediately had another panel done. While I waited for the second results I
increased her vitamin/mineral supplement (she had been getting 3mg of
selenium/day) so I boosted it with E and Selenium to 6mg/day. Ten days later, I
got the results of the second panel. I hadn't changed anything in her feed
before that blood was drawn. Her selenium was at .138 and everything else was
closer to normal. The two panels were so different that I questioned wether or
not they WERE my horse. I had three tough rides coming up, three weekends in a
row and again had blood drawn just before the first ride. She top tenned in
Merritt, tying for 8th place in the 50 mile ride. Her latest panel showed her
with a selenium level of .192, coming up frighteningly fast, I thought. I cut
her back to 4mg/day and rode the next two weekends, one 35 mile CTR that she
BC'd in and a very hot, humid 50 in Maple Ridge that she also top tenned in. I
gave her ten days off at home and went for a little ride out the back of my
place where she promptly tied up. Again, the next day, I had blood taken and
the results showed her back at .133 for selenium, slightly down but acceptable
for magnesium and low in iodine. Everything else was fine. My vet has advised
me to keep her moving, with a maximum lay-off of 3 days after rides. Can anyone
comment on this turn of events? It scared the pants off me!! I have spoken to
my friendly, ever helpful pharmacist and he is recommending that I use DMG. I
told him that it is illegal in competition and his response was that " everyone
uses it and why shouldn't you?" I have never used this stuff and the research
that I've done claims that it didn't work in the clinical testing that was
done. What's the big deal? Does it work to reduce lactic acid levels? Is it
illegal? Should I consider using it in training and then withdrawing it before
competition? I know that riders use it without qualms and are winning on it.
What's the scoop?