From: Lynne Glazer <anyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:53:49 -0700
To: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   the future and direction of Tevis?

Geez, give it a break, T.  The Emirates have always invited whomever
they wanted to come play in their sandbox, with crews/transportation
fully paid for--past invitees include winners and top finishers of Pan
Am, WEC, and other events both in the US and around the world.  They
could have invited the winners without making it part of the
ceremony--and with the extreme precedent, I don't think AERC can take
any sort of position--after all the RIDE did not award these prizes,
this private concern did.

I'm not the least bit worried about UAE-style endurance "affecting" or
as some would have it, "infecting" Tevis or our AERC-style of riding.
Hey, they have limited terrain with which to work, which supports a
certain type of riding, and the fact that they want to come try our
style is encouraging to me.   One big tent, and all that.   It doesn't
have to translate into monetary prizes (which I personally deplore) or
another push to get endurance into the Olympics.  The invitees will
have the experience of a lifetime, and their support crews too--they
could think of it as a vacation.  And the horse won't be at risk as
long as the riders pick a smart strategy of competing on the unfamiliar
terrain.

Lynne