Re: [RC] the future and direction of Tevis? - Truman Prevatt

Oh, I am sure the AERC is not going to say a word about it.  However, technically the WEC nor the Pan Am are not sanctioned AERC rides the Tevis was and the Emirates were sponsors of the ride offering the prize at the ride. If the UAE wanted to contact the person after the fact that's fine but they didn't.

I don't care one way or another how the UAE runs their rides - that's their choice nor do I care that they are willing to support rides in this country. The Tevis could have easily resolved the issue ( if there was one ) by contacting the AERC and getting a steward assigned.

They probably didn't even think about it but you know the last speeding ticket I got - I didn't see the 30 mph sign and thought it was 40 in the area and didn't think much about it. That didn't impress the state cop much, however.

Truman

Seems that rule whatever number it is in play.

Lynne Glazer wrote:
Geez, give it a break, T.  The Emirates have always invited whomever they wanted to come play in their sandbox, with crews/transportation fully paid for--past invitees include winners and top finishers of Pan Am, WEC, and other events both in the US and around the world.  They could have invited the winners without making it part of the ceremony--and with the extreme precedent, I don't think AERC can take any sort of position--after all the RIDE did not award these prizes, this private concern did.

I'm not the least bit worried about UAE-style endurance "affecting" or as some would have it, "infecting" Tevis or our AERC-style of riding.  Hey, they have limited terrain with which to work, which supports a certain type of riding, and the fact that they want to come try our style is encouraging to me.   One big tent, and all that.   It doesn't have to translate into monetary prizes (which I personally deplore) or another push to get endurance into the Olympics.  The invitees will have the experience of a lifetime, and their support crews too--they could think of it as a vacation.  And the horse won't be at risk as long as the riders pick a smart strategy of competing on the unfamiliar terrain.

Lynne