Re: [RC] BB and clinics, and intro - mcalex

> Human learning is not optimized by humiliation, which is a

> form of abuse just as much as hitting a pupil with a whip

> is.

Amen.

Hello, I'm a new member to the list. I was going to post an introduction to the list later, but this thread brought me out of lurkdom early.

I'm glad that the posters who have written in were able to get past their hurt and take the information and use it. But what about those who couldn't? What of those who came with a willing spirit and were so hurt that they lost ground in their journey? Perhaps even quit? That wasn't right by any standard.

I don't care how good a clinician is with horses unless I am giving him my horse to train. If he is training ME, however, I expect him to have good human teaching skills. That's his responsibility before he starts selling himself as a teacher of humans.

I come from the world of dog training, and I've had this experience before -- from a man I deeply respect. I went to three of his camps and left each thinking I would never train again. I learned tons, but my self-confidence was shattered. I rarely train to this day, though because I am a good teacher of humans, I continue to teach in one fashion or another. In fact, I attended a conference last year, and a presenter had us a various training exercises. She knew me as a professional and so decided to challenge me. When I finished she said "I've never had anyone do that so fast before except Robin Hood (of TTeam)." Heady stuff -- but it doesn't undo the old damage.

I was presenting at that same conference, and I had an attendee come up to me and take my hand and say, "You're my favorite presenter. You're so approachable... not like the others." That meant more to me than anything else that weekend. Being approachable means students can talk to me. They can ask questions and keep asking questions. They can voice a differing opinion without fear of recrimination and have their concerns addressed. They can disagree with me. And they still leave feeling good about themselves and their abilities.

Now that I've lectured long enough <eye roll>, I'll give a belated introduction. My name is Melissa Alexander, and I live outside of Seattle, WA. My husband and I just moved to the country FINALLY, and I'm getting back into horses after a 20-year absense. Several of my horsey friends are into endurance riding,and they've totally sold me on it. So even though I haven't gotten a horse yet, I joined Ridecamp to learn as much as I can.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Melissa Alexander