Re: [RC] swelling question - Susan Young

Ask your vet.  He's actually there and can see the damage.  Different injuries require different treatment.  While pasture rest is good, in this case, it may cause more damage.  You may not know the extent of the damage either.  I'd haul him back to the vet for an assessment.

Also, it's just the nature of the beast...with competitive horses.  You'll have bad luck or no luck at all!  <sigh>

Paddi <seamstob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay I am officially in the s**t for luck club.
My boy Sid stuck his leg in a hay manger on the way back from the vets. (Went for coggins so he could come the Owyhee multiday)
He stood like a good boy until I rescued him but now his leg is swollen with heat from the knee down.
I have hosed it with cold water and applied DMSO.
The heat is better but the swelling is still there. He is not lame .
He is a BIG suck and acts like he is dieing as soon as I touch it then begs for cookies which fix everything. This is my boy who tried to die on me last year before the Owyhee. Maybe he just does not want to go.
So do I keep him locked up , let him out to pasture, ice it , continue with the DMSO??????????????????
Suggestions welcome.
Paddi

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)