Re: [RC] For Susan Garlinghouse -- Beet Pulp / Rice Bran ?? - JUDYK89

Okay, here's another Rice Bran question I've been meaning to ask.  I know in the past, you've (S.G. DVM) said to keep the amount of rice bran down to under 3 or 4 cups a day depending on the weight of the horse (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Recently, my friends horse was diagnosed with gastric ulcers, and we were told by the vet at the clinic to stop feeding rice bran, because while it doesn't cause ulcers, it makes the conditions in the stomach ripe for ulcers.

So my question; Is the 3 or 4 cups a day limit related to the ulcer theory?  Do you agree with the ulcer/rice bran theory?  What would you recommend instead of rice bran if we need to discontinue it because of the ulcers?  Our horses get beet pulp, rice bran, flax seeds, a biotin supplement, and daily wormer (which, by the way, is the only thing the vet doesn't want us to discontinue during her month on Gastrogard) along with all Bermuda grass they can eat, supplemented with orchard grass.

Thanks, Judy