RE: [RC] For Susan Garlinghouse -- Beet Pulp / Rice Bran ?? - Susan E. Garlinghouse

I heartily disagree with the statement on a number of points, all of which I’ve covered in past posts on the subject of balancing calcium-phosphorus ratios.  There should be numerous posts available in the archives on my opinions on the subject.  Maybe someone can re-post them if there’s interest in the subject, though I’m happy to further explain any muddy areas.  Rather than rehash it, I’m going to go have a glass of wine on the deck with my husband.  J

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Suvut@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 4:17 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] For Susan Garlinghouse -- Beet Pulp / Rice Bran ??

Susan, can you verify if the below statement about feeding rice bran in conjunction with beet pulp is true?  A friend sent this to me while doing some research.  Not sure where she found this information, but am somewhat concerned...

Don't use KER's Equi-Jewel, Moorman's MoorGlo or Triple Crown's Rice bran because they have calcium added and the whole point of the Rice bran, beyond extra calories, is to balance the relatively high calcium in the beet pulp.

Susan in Louisville (AERC #1108)