Re: [RC] [RC] Inverted flags on UAE sponsored hats - Nancy Mitts

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. Inverted is upside down, isn't it? That's a big no-no for a flag & I can't see that as "artistic". Actually I believe it's the signal for distress for ships at sea. I looked at the photo link for the banner, and there was nothing "wrong" with our flag. It is just unusual to see it in that position. Was the flag on the hats different? Normally, a pictured flag has the stars in the upper left corner. This one was pictured hung on a crossed pole that showed the stars in the upper right. If you look at a flag being flown with the wind holding it straight out, someone standing on one side will see it one way, and from the other side the other way.
And yes, burning is the proper way to dispose of damaged flags. I've see notices where the VFW or some such group would have ceremonial flag disposal burnings.

Nancy Mitts

From: "rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>

I checked the hat that they gave my kids at Biltmore. It has the UAE flag from each side on each side...in other words, they inverted their flag on it so it sounds like an artistic thing. As an artist, I'd prefer to have each probably both coming from the back and pointing forward, or both pointing from front to back. There's lots of rules about our flag we don't know or follow but maybe we should...but isn't there a rule that says you should burn a flag if it touched the ground? Most people would be shocked and offended if you did.
Angie

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx