Re: [RC] [RC] Tevis Sponsorship - Catfish Daniels

Hi Ed & Wendy:

I've been having e-mail problems and just now stumbled accross 323 e-mails that I had not read since I left for Tevis.

I was really delighted that you introduced yourselves to me - it was a real pleasure to put a face to the ridecamp posts that I had read from or about you. Needless to say, you both are extremely delightful folks, and I'm looking forward to some day see you again - perhaps next year at Tevis?? I'll provide the chips and soda/beer. Deal?

Anyway, I really liked your post about the UAE. I had the chance to meet the boys from the UAE during Tevis, as they had close dealings with Potato's group, who are good friends of mine.

It was unfortunate to hear some of the comments about the UAE, and how some of our own endurance folks tend to "generalize" and "group" people because of politics, money matters, or whatever other reasons. The fact is that just like with so many other sports, endurance is an opportunity where everybody is on a level playing field. Everybody, no matter what country, ethnicity, or financial background (or lack thereof) has to put in the same amount of effort, and has to possess the same amount of passion for the animals and the sport, to be successful. We all have to jump over the same boulders and endure the same elements.

I used to be involved in another sport - Olympic Style Tae Kwon Do - where I competed on the International level, trying for a spot on the '96 and 2000 Olympic Team. At every international venue it was the most amazing thing to see countries from all over the world - different backgrounds and upbringings, different politics and different everyday survival battles - entering the arena. In the ring we all wore the same uniforms, used pretty much the same techniques, and for 3 x 3 minutes one forgot that they were sparring a person from the other side of the world. It was awsome, and it united everybody in the most unique way.

I was extremely excited when I saw the guys from the UAE show up. It was brave and it was a huge effort on their part. Yes, they seem to be blessed with money, but they offered to share it at Tevis. They were gracious, they were kind. The riders themselves were walking around introducing themselves to people, wishing others good luck. Their conversations were fun - and they were in most ways just like most of us - no different at all.

I think their sponsorship was wonderful. Their banners were well deserved, promoting their endurance village and yet bringing our sport closer to other parts of the world - and again uniting us as one "group" of individuals with the same interest. In my opinion, just like you pointed out, our sport should be proud to receive financial contributions, sponsorship, and anything else to promote international recognition and unification. It did not go un-noticed that their engraved hats that they handed out, had their flag on one side, and the U.S. flag on the other.

Congratulations on everything that went so well for you at Tevis. :-)

Catfish