[RC] Random Thoughts - Beth Bennett

I believe that my favorite thing in all the world is to sit in the floor of my horse's stall beside her fluffed pile of hay, and just watch and listen as she sorts through and nibbles a nest in the pile. All of my senses which have been tapped out by the groanings of my day, or numbed by the little hands that demand all of me, seem to magically refill with each breath Paanache takes.

There is no greater smell than that of my horse. It is rivaled only by puppy breath. Only those who share this deep affliction that loving a horse is can relate to the wholesome, healing smell that belongs only to their horse.

Occasionally she will look up from her comfortable pile of hay to survey the night air with her radar ears and large, thoughtful eyes, only to blow it all off and return leisurely to her eating. I reach out and scratch her cannon bone and she returns my gesture with a gentle nuzzle on my shoulder. This gratitude is more than most human beings extend to each other, and the simplicity of it humbles me.

It is this time -- after everyone else I seem to exist for is in bed -- when I am me. . . just me. No deadlines, no games, no body to please.

I sit and listen to the summer chorus of chrickets in the background, singing nature's lulaby and, for the first time today, my heart and mind are able to rest in the peace that I find only in my horse and her company. My day sloughs off like a dead snake's skin, and I return to the house refreshed. I kiss my son and husband while they sleep and thank God for the gift of my wonderful mare.

Beth Bennett
Chickamauga, GA

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to ?Dig Yourself Out of Debt? from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx