From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 12:38 PM
Subject: [RC] Why He Died

Please Reply to: Debora Vietor-Wilson fharanch@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am the unfortunate rider whose horse died just after the Forest Hill vet
check.  I have read many of the postings here and I would like to let
everyone know the facts.

First, there was no car or truck involved.

My horse had been doing very well in the ride.  He had only A's and B's on
his vet card all day long.  I remember that at Forest Hill he had an A- on
gut sounds, gait, attitude and impulsion. The remainings scores were a mix
of A's and B's.  He had been eating and drinking like crazy all day long and
was well fed and well hydrated.

As I left the vet check I crossed the pavement and turned left towards the
town of Forest Hill.  My horse,Moonshadow Bey (Shadow), picked up an
energetic trot without being prompted and was moving free and easy.  We only
went about 100 - 150 feet and he took two wobbly strides slowing to almost a
stop.  On the third step he collapsed and was gone in about 10 seconds.

Because I was so close to the vet check, I yelled for help and a volunteer
came and I asked for a vet and he ran back to the check.  The vets were with
me in about 3 minutes, but there was nothing to be done.  Everyone there was
very kind and gentle with me and I have to say a huge  THANK YOU to everyone
that helped me that night.  I was asked if I would give permission for an
autopsy to learn the cause of this.  I strongly felt that if there was any
way to prevent someone else from going through the experience I was in, that
was the right thing to do.

Shadow was taken to University of California at Davis (UCD) and the gross
(as opposed to microscopic) results have been communicated to me as this:
Shadow suffered an aneurysm of the Pulmonary Artery (the aretery returning
oxygenated blood from the lungs back to the heart).  He collapsed because
his brain was deprived of that oxygen and he "passed out" or "fainted"
because of it.  He did not suffer and that is a blessing.  It is also a
blessing that it happened where it did instead of on the side of a cliff.
It allowed us all to have a definitive answer as to the cause, and obviously
was much safer for me.

As some of you have stated in the early postings regarding this situation,
this was a defect in my horses anatomy.  There was no way to detect it,
cause it, or prevent it.  There were no symptoms that myself or the
veterinary staff could have or should have seen or heard before or durning
the ride.

This incident should NOT reflect negatively on the Tevis or the sport of
endurance. This was going to happen to my horse no matter what he was doing,
even standing in the pasture at home.

He was a great horse, friend, and partner.  He died on the trail moving in
his beautiful gait without trauma or fear or pain.

I shall miss him deeply.

I would also like to thank everyone that has expressed their support of me
during this horrible time in my life.  It has meant a great deal, helped me
to cope, and has touched my heart.