Re: [RC] Choosing Between Horses - Lif Strand

At 03:56 PM 8/3/2004, Aaron Turnage wrote:
I would appreciate any suggestions or comments anyone
might have.  It's hard to part with a very much loved
companion but this new guys has POTENTIAL written all
over him.

First thing I'm going to say is that the following is *my opinion* only - if no one likes it, delete it, but don't get on my case.

Second thing is, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you think you've got a hundred mile horse in the pinto, that's more than you know about the Arab, who might not be a hundred mile horse (some aren't, you know), and might not even be a good endurance horse. You think your pinto might not be a top ten horse but you don't know that he isn't a top ten 100 mile horse, now do you? You have to decide how important that is for you, if it's important enough to consider selling what you know you have for something that *might* be an improvement, that you won't even know is an improvement for a year or more.

Third thing is - and this is what might be controversial - that I hate it when horses are treated like motorcycles, that is, they're treated like they're replaceable by another, better model whenever another model comes along. You may have very good reasons for considering this Arab, but exactly how important is it for you to have a *potential* top ten horse - important enough that in two more years, when he's six, you might decide to replace the Arab if he doesn't work?

Am I saying *you*, Crysta, would do that, or that you consider horses to be like motorcycles? NO! It's just my own first reaction to your question.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA