[RC] [RC] More Tevis Stats - Karen

I was impressed that people leased them good
horses. Granted, yes, they
rode a very tough ride and I'm sure coming in from other climates, jet
lag, etc. has its own challenges. That said, a local out there could
claim to have a "Tevis Ready" horse, take the money and send
them out on
just anything. Nice to see that people who are leasing are apparently
providing a quality product. I'm curious as to how often the leaser
rides
with the leasee and coaches them through the ride. Anybody know?

I think that Danny from Canada brought his own horse (I'm sure somebody here knows for sure?).  The other four leased horses.  The majority of those four had done Tevis before, and the horses they rode had all done 100's before.  I think they all did a great job, it isn't easy to come to a ride like this and ride somebody elses horse.  It showed (I think) that they tried really hard to take care of the horses while keeping the goal of completing as the most important thing.  I think it was Ali (?) who broke his wrist before Robinson's Flat and still continued on to finish. I also noted that just as many American riders leased horses and did not finish.  It must be that Lady Luck thing that Julie talks about.  Christopf brought two horses for the UAE riders to ride.  They both finished.  He did not.  Dian did finish, so they finished 3 out of 4 horses.  They are from Utah.  In fact, that probably ups the % of completions for Utah since I had not counted the other 2.   I don't know how much they rode together, I'll ask them when we see them at Bryce.

From the website, by Julie Suhr:  http://www.foothill.net/tevis/training/suhr.htm

Oh yeah, there was one rider who did very well on a horse that wasn't his --- Jeremy!

Karen