Re: [RC] Horse won't pulse down - Magnumsmom

Kristen writes:
> Does misbehaving really mean a horse is ready to do a 50 when it's only done one 25?
> [Even a slow 50?] I have heard this suggested to her a couple times. Seems that maybe
> more experience in that environment would more directly address the issue, rather than
> more miles, especially if you do not know whether the horse's cardiovascular and soft
> tissue systems make it ready for a 50. Kristen in TX

Kristen, good point.  As one who suggests a 50, I should modify that to
a slow, back of the pack 50.

Per the original email, it appears that the horse's cardiovascular system
is fine.  :)  However, one should always take the time to do the slow miles
and build up those soft tissues.  I still suggest a slow 50 with the rider
as always taking care of their horse and remembering the option to pull...
even at 45 miles... if the horse does get too tired.   However, the concerns
you bring up are mostly concerns at speed.  Speed now is wrong.  I believe,
however, the slow miles should be fine for this mare given her behavior as
presented in the original RC post.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
... what?  too much caffeine this am???