Re: [RC] Need input on Slide in truck campers - Becky Rohwer

 I do the slide in camper, two horse trailer set up.  I have a 98 3/4T GMC
gas truck.  I bought a hard sided camper from Lance that is called the Lance
Lite.  I really like it because it is about 6 inches narrower and a little
lower in height than a normal slide in.  I can still see my trailer behind
me.  It is 8 1/2 ft long so not much hang out the back.  I do have a little
extension to my hitch only because I had a step about 6 inches deep put just
behind the ball of the hitch to make getting in a out of the camper easier.
Even though it is a pared down camper I don't go without ammenities.  It is
fully self-contained.  Shower, toilet, oven, 3 burner cook top, fridge
w/freezer, hot water, heater, even a queen size bed.  I'm very comfy in it.
It is not designed for a family although you can probably sleep 3 in it.
Just not much space for everyone to be in the camper at once.
 I find that a comfortable traveling speed when pulling the horse trailer
is about 60 to 62 MPH.  I am not white knuckling the steering wheel at that
speed.  W/O the horse trailer I feel comfortable at 65 with the camper on
though.  It doesn't rock an roll much.  I did have air bags/lifts installed
in the truck in the back end to keep the truck level.  I think that is
really a key to having a slide in camper.  Keeps the front tires on the
ground where they belong.  If it is a really, and I mean really windy day
there might be some sway, but I just slow down a bit to compensate.
 I would love to have a gooseneck with living quarters some day, but for
now, the camper really does work great.  Also is nice during the summer
months to unhook the horse trailer, leave the horses and home and go do the
lake thing with your camper. ;-)

 Becky R. - Montana