Re: [RC] Experiences with Plastic Shoes` - Truman Prevatt

When I tried Equiflex I was hoping that since the were fairly stiff that they would provide better support and not lead to cracking, flaring, etc. but it didn't work. Roger had resported some good results with them. My farrier has all  but stopped putting on ground control. A few people tried them but they didn't work out. For road riding they would be fine but for an all around shoe - at least in our wet environment they don't seem to work.

Another issues. I got back for out west where I was worried that I would wear the hind shoes right off in a few miles. That is happened in the past. The the two farrier supply houses in Ocala didn't have fine borium powder to "dust the shoes with" so with tempering the hind shoes. The shoes held up find but the nail heads were gone after 100 miles - even to the point that you couldn't pull them without pulling the shoe and taking them afterwards. There was still a good crease in the shoes but the nails wore down into the crease. It doesn't do much good to have a hard shoe but nails that wear out.

My farrier suggest maybe next time to try nails with carbid tipped heads - or what he called "snow nails." Anyone have any experience - pro or con with this?

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
If I knew that I was going to do another 200 miles of road, I would put
plastic shoes on my horse if he/she  had great feet.  I would have him
reshod when I was done.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."