[RC] Experiences with Plastic Shoes` - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Way back in the '70's, I rode on a road wagon train 3 or 4 times.  We would
cover about 200 miles in 9 days of riding.  Much of the riding was on
asphalt or concrete pavement.  Steel shoes were to slippery, especially when
riding traffic.  The traffic riders were on the pavement all of the time and
had to trot or lope to secure crossings etc.

Some people put borium on the shoes.  They used the finest grade of borium.
(note: farriers usually have to get this special because most of their use
is for hunter-jumpers who want the coarsest grade.  Some farriers do not
even know that different grades exist.) I did this one time and it was fine,
but not as good as plastic shoes.

Upon the recommendation of a friend I used plastic shoes.  The ones of
choice were "Flex-step".  They may not exist any more.  A quick Google found
a mention, but no dealers or web site.  My horses had good feet and were
barefoot, except for the wagon train.  The plastic shoes gave the right
amount of traction, and padding for the asphalt surface.  I had to tighten
the clinches every night.   By the end of the train they were pretty well
worn out.

They did not support the feet.  If I did not remove them quickly after the
ride, they tended to turn and come off.  I suspect that a steady diet would
have resulted in cracks etc.

If I knew that I was going to do another 200 miles of road, I would put
plastic shoes on my horse if he/she  had great feet.  I would have him
reshod when I was done.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road